Company Roles and Responsibilities
- CSIIP is open to all companies doing business in Virginia providing paid opportunities in a STEM-related field.
Companies need to provide the following items to the VSGC via the online CSIIP Industry Register/Login link:
- A signed participation agreement.
- Two points of contact for their participation in the program.
- General company information along with an overview of the internships offered if available.
- Select students, make offers, and employ students directly.
- Immediately notify the VSGC when a student has been hired.
- Notify the VSGC of any change in the internship position description or period of performance.
- Ensure a quality internship experience through exposure to real-world work with meaningful position responsibilities.
- Participate in an evaluation survey at the end of the internship period, addressing the intern's performance, the company's experience with the intern, and suggestions for improvement to the internship program.
- Assume all employment liability for the student during the internship period.
- At time of hiring, the company will "place" the intern via the link provided.
- The company will provide a detailed position description, supervisor's name, title and contact information, site location, pay, hours per week and dates of employement.
- Pay the interns a wage or stipend within program guidelines of a minimum $10 per hour.
- Provide all FICA contributions.
- Pay rates should take into consideration local cost of living and intern's experience level.
- Companies are encouraged to provide enrichment activities such as lunch meetings with senior personnel, company tours, or attendance (as an observer) of an offsite meeting.
- Provide students with web access to view VSGC-supported webcasts, available on the CSIIP homepage.
- Notify VSGC if the company subsequently hires a former CSIIP intern, regardless of where the internship was served.
- Companies are encouraged to assist interns with locating affordable and safe lodging, and to assist students with making carpool arrangements if needed.