How CSIIP Works
VSGC partners with Virginia's regional technology councils, colleges and universities and leading Virginia STEM organizations and companies to increase the number of paid internship opportunities, and to raise awareness of the program.
- To submit a complete application, students provide an essay about themselves, résumé, transcript, and contact information for two references who can provide letters of recommendation.
- Once the application is submitted and approved, it is available for review by all the registered companies and the networking partners.
- Note: applying through CSIIP does not guarantee an internship position; however, it does increase return on investment. A single application can be seen by more than 150 companies!
- Students can indicate interest in specific registered companies on their applications, but cannot contact companies directly.
- Companies register with company overview and website address, contact information, and internship opportunities including the number of openings, descriptions, requirements, salary, and start and end dates.
- Companies search the CSIIP database for pre-screened, qualified candidates who meet their internships' criteria.
- Companies contact the student(s), using the information provided in the application.
- If a company hires an intern through CSIIP, they indicate their hiring decision in the system.
- Companies select and hire students directly.
- Interns will be paid $10 to $15 per hour (or receive an equivalent stipend) but companies will establish the actual pay rates.
- Summer internships are generally 20 to 40 hours per week, and are typically 10 to 12 weeks in length. Spring and fall internships may vary in length.
- Interns are responsible for their own transportation and housing.
- During the internships, interns will be asked to complete a CSIIP evaluation assessment.
- Students also will agree to participate in longitudinal tracking surveys until post-graduation employment, or until they receive their next academic degree.
- Interns who complete their internships will receive a Certificate of Completion, signed by Governor McAuliffe, and by VSGC's director, Mary Sandy.